The Key to your Happiness
I used to make gratitude lists where every day I would write down things I was grateful for and I couldn't repeat the same things from day to day. The first week or two it's pretty easy. You're grateful for your kids, your job, your house, your car...but after a while, you have to start really looking and realize "I'm thankful I can make a glass of cold lemonade on a hot day. I'm grateful for ice cubes which are a little luxury that we take for granted." You have to start dissecting your days and your life and your experiences a little bit more.
I'm grateful right now that I'm not walking in pain. I broke my hip bone and for two years as a result I lived in a lot of pain. Just from that experience, I appreciate better the fact that I can simply walk without pain and with such freedom of movement. I may have taken that simple gift for granted if I hadn't been thru that experience. Not only that, I can sympathize for others who are in pain and be more apt to help because I know what that's like. And I'm grateful for that.
I talk a lot about having an attitude of gratitude, but I think I should talk about it a lot more because having a grateful heart is like being handed the keys to happiness. It's true. It's really hard to be unhappy when you're busy focusing on the things that make you grateful. So what are you thankful for today: fireflies, air conditioning, flowers, baby snuggles, a cup of iced tea with a friend?
Think on that a while and consider making your own gratitude lists; I know I should start again, because I've never felt happier than when I was busy counting my blessings.
Share your Summer Story for a Chance to Win Big!
I love this time of year when my senses are overloaded with good things. I love it when the windows and doors are open and I hear the kids outside laughing, playing in the sprinklers. I'm enchanted by the beautiful colors of my flower garden. I love to watch the ducks sliding into the pond for a landing. I love the smell of freshly cut grass, and barbecue wafting throughout my back patio. And I love the smell of a bonfire at night crackling beneath a star-filled sky.
What do you love about this time of year? What charges your spirit by filling up your senses? How about the things you like to taste during summertime? I love biting into a juicy watermelon or sweet berry pie. And there's almost nothing that beats the perfect taste combination of graham cracker with marshmallow and chocolate, all melted together with a hint of smoke from roasting it over the fire pit.
Now, who's ready for s'mores? I'll do you one better than handing out s'mores...I'll give you the chance to win the Ultimate DOVE® Chocolate S'mores Kit, complete with DOVE® Dark Chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers, roasting sticks and a $200 gift card. That ought to kick up your camping trip a notch or twelve.
DOVE® Dark Chocolate is the best piece of chocolate to put in your s'mores, take my word for it. It's my favorite campfire trick. It melts easily, and the gooey good combination of the rich dark chocolate and marshmallow makes for irresistible s'mores perfection.
If it sounds too delicious to be true, head over to the official contest page and enter to win so you can try it for yourself! All you have to do is tell me about your favorite summer rituals, or how you prefer to roast your s'mores, or what things you love about this time of year. You choose the story for a chance to win this delicious prize package!
The Perfect Summer Party Favor
I am hosting yet another summer wedding at my farm, so to prepare; we have been busy crafting the party favors for our guests. This time, we are giving out hand-painted mason jar glasses with built-in straws. People can fill them up with their preferred beverage, then they can take them home to enjoy time after time. Here is how you can easily make mason jar glasses for your shower, wedding, potluck, a hostess gift, or simply for your own enjoyment at home...
- Wash medium size mason jars with soap and water and dry thoroughly.
- Paint on them using acrylic paint. Once the paint has dried you can put a thin, plain acrylic glaze over them, which you can get in any craft store.
- Put them in a cold oven; turn the oven on to 300. Once it reaches 300 let them sit in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn the oven off after 20 minutes and leave them in the hot oven until they cool. Take them out and they're ready to go!
- For the straws, use a drill bit slightly wider than your straw to drill a small hole into the metal lid of the jar.
- Pop your small rubber grommets into the drilled hole to finish it off. Grommets can be found in the hardware store usually by the nails, screws and washers.
- Add your straw! We ordered pink paper straws off the Internet.
Enter to Win Heaven is for Real, Now on Blu-ray and DVD!
I read the book Heaven is for Real and I saw the movie when it came out a few months ago in theaters. I took my whole family and a few friends and we all loved it! It brought to life such an amazing true life miracle that touched me on a deep level because of my belief that heaven is a real and glorious place that is home to so many people I love who have passed on.
Now the movie is out on Blu-ray and DVD and because I feel so connected to it, I want to share it with you. I'm giving away 10 copies of the DVD this week to 10 lucky people who email me at Events@Delilah.com. Would you like to own a copy of the movie Heaven is for Real? Simply ask for it and you could be picked, it's that easy.
If you didn't get to see Heaven is for Real in theaters, now is your chance to see it on Blu-ray or DVD in the comfort of your home with your loved ones. And check out the interesting special features on the disc like the making-of-the-film featurette, and download the family discussion guide on AffirmFilms.com.
Based on an incredible true story and starring Greg Kinnear, trust me when I say this is not a movie to pass up. Make it the feature film for your next family movie night this summer!
What Listeners Love Most About Summertime
- Home grown tomatoes for sandwiches and other fruits and veggies are best in the summer! Jackie
- Spraying my horses with cool water from the hose as they stand patiently still enjoying their summertime delight and I also love walking barefoot in the cool green grass of my home. LaDonna
- The thing that I love most about summer is that it's not winter. Patty
- The sweet sounds of singing birds and the soft warm breeze on your face. Alicia
- Everything is alive and the living is easy going! Debbie
- Coffee on the deck in the morning. Katie
- Summer for me is flowers, butterflies, hummingbirds, the smell of freshly mowed grass and honeysuckle on the vine, the taste of warm tomatoes picked and eaten with salt, and the giggles of little children playing outside! Linda
- I love swimming in the lake and camping. Kerry
- Long and warm days! Sarah
- Balmy nights, flip flops and picnics. Susanne
- Walking barefoot on the beach. Denise
- My colorful garden and the peace that it brings. Tina
Call me today at 1-888-633-5452 and let me put your summer story to a song that helps you sail away into a carefree state of mind. Have a beautiful week!