A few things to wrap up the year…Yes, I’m taking the rest of the year off. A big long week and a half and I can’t wait.
Not going anywhere....just spending some time with me, my girls, Jeff and friends.
Can’t catch up on TV as there’s nothing to catch up on. I forgot the big shows take a few week’s hiatus!
Sam will be with you though. Poor guy!!!. He decided to work right through the holidays and save his time off for next year. His wife-Carol- is working so he figured he might as well too. Got a point!!
As for you my friends!!! Thank you for being with me for another year…Mostly “ups” this year, few “downs”. Victoria’s wedding, Christina sharing her “Kinders” with me
and letting me into her class as Miss Lissa and another wonderful year with my love Jeff.
Not everyone gets a second chance at finding a special guy. I know that and I realize how lucky I am.
We had fun with this today…It all started with “Belly on up to the Bar”
Saw this on ABC News 20-20 a few weeks ago and now whenever I order a drink (which isn’t very often…LOL) I do think about it.
4 ways a bartender can rip you off (not that it ever happens here)
1. Switching out expensive booze for the cheap stuff. Some bars will take an empty bottle of expensive liquor and pour a cheaper brand into it. You're more likely to get ripped off on something like vodka, as opposed to whisky, which has more flavor.
2. The "short pour." Using crushed ice instead of cubed ice gives the illusion that the drink has more alcohol. If they start a drink off with crushed ice, they can pour less alcohol into it.
3. The "long pour." This is that thing where they lift the bottle high above their heads while they pour. It looks like they're doing something special for you, and you're getting a stronger drink. But it's a distraction so they can pour a WEAKER one.
4. The "sneaky pour." They hold the bottle out over your cup for a really long time, so it looks like they're pouring a lot of liquor. But they're holding a finger over the air hole on the spout, so that the liquor comes out in a trickle.
You think any of these have ever happened to you? Better yet, if you watch Vanderpump Rules, you think Jax or Tom could be guilty?. I’m guessing they’re guilty of many things…but not any of these. Lisa just wouldn’t allow that!!! LOL
What is the moral of this story?
Stick to bottled beer.
This didn’t excite all of you but I think it could have the makings for a BIG HIT. Love the news that there is a Gilligan’s Island movie in the works. So loved that show in the 60s. JOSH GAD, who played Steve Wozniakin the movie "Jobs", is going to co-write it AND play one of the parts. Maybe the Skipper!! And what about these character possibilities?
Gilligan: Justin Long or as Julie on FB suggested Ashton Kutcher Skipper: John Goodman (or Gad) The Professor: Steve Carell Mary Ann: Jennifer Lawrence Ginger: Christina Hendricks Mr. Howell: Tom Hanks Mrs. Howell: Meryl Streep
What do you think of this guy? Greg Benson. I think he’s a professional prankster if there is such a thing. But if not he does deserve the title. He’s found what may be the perfect way to get people to stop having loud private conversations on their cell phones when they’re in public places like a bus, Bart, an airport. He calls it “cell phone crashing”. He plants himself next to loud, chatty cell phone user and then pretends to have the same conversation on his cell phone. Yeah, he says the same thing the other guy or gal is saying. Harmless, yet effective. I saw a video he made. He makes his point!!!
Now here’s something handy to keep nearby for the holidays.
15 great ways to make an “adult” hot chocolate. In other words, 15 ways to spike hot chocolate. All seem pretty simple.
1. Pumpkin pie hot chocolate. Add white chocolate, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin pie liqueur.
2. Mint hot chocolate. Add tequila and peppermint schnapps.
3. Nutella hot chocolate. It actually doesn't have Nutella in it. You just put in some brandy and Frangelico.
4. El Dorado hot chocolate. All it takes is rum and cinnamon liqueur.
5. Oaxaca Chaka Cocktail. Put hot chocolate together with cinnamon and tequila.
6. Red Wine hot chocolate. Use bittersweet hot chocolate and red wine.
7. The hot chocolate martini. Add vanilla vodka and Bailey's. Plus two araschino cherries
.8. Hot mint chocolate toddy. Add Kahlua and peppermint schnapps. Maybe some little marshmallows and chocolate flakes..
9. Frozen hot chocolate margarita. This one is frozen hot chocolate, tequila, Kahlua, and Grand Marnier. With chocolate sprinkles instead of salt.
10. Orange hot chocolate. Add Pisco and Grand Marnier.
11. Coconut white hot chocolate. White hot chocolate and coconut rum.
12. Peppermint hot chocolate. Just add peppermint schnapps.
13. "Grown Up" hot chocolate. Add marshmallow vodka and homemade Bailey's marshmallows. I put this recipe on Pinterest.
14. Bacon and hazelnut hot chocolate. Add bourbon and Frangelico, and dip a piece of bacon right in there like a stirring stick.
15. Irish hot chocolate. Add Guinness, whisky, and Bailey's.
So many requests this time of year.
Can you help here, there and everywhere?
And now the request is coming from us…Sam and Lissa
We’ve been asking for 15 years. Can you help us Stuff the Bus-or- 2
For Toys for Tots? This truly is our “baby”. We love this event…we love this day….we love what happens because of it and it’s really because of you?. Come Christmas tens of thousands of kids will have a present because of what you bring downtown tomorrow.
And if the thought of that doesn’t make you smile…
Easy to do. Get some toys. Everything is on sale now. Use coupons if you have them
And drive down to Christmas in the Park tomorrow from 9-5. The Marines are there all day long and Sam and I are there from 10-2. You don’t even have to get out of your car. We’ll empty your trunk or back seat for you. A big thank you from us along with a KBAY Holiday CD. And this will probably be the last chance for you to get one of those so yes come on down.
For the OMG report this morning I did the story on the 6 year old suspended from first grade for kissing a girl on her hand. Unbelievable!!! Plus he now has on his permanent file “sexual harassment”. But maybe I should have done this one as it is such a wonderful Christmas story.
The Canadian airline WESTJET asked passengers before take off what they wanted for Christmas. And when they landed and went to get their luggage at baggage claim, the presents came out on the conveyor belt …wrapped and with their names on them. Yes, they got 150 volunteers actually go out and buy the stuff people requested including tablets, free airline tickets, and a 50-inch television.
Of course, there were the passengers who didn’t take it seriously and wrote down silly stuff like the one guy who said he wanted underwear and socks….and yes, that’s what he had waiting for him. But even he was happy.
Started this on Facebook early this morning.
The most annoying people on the plane.
Just who are they according to the Expedia survey?
Worst…inattentive parents who let their kids do whatever!!
A close second passengers who kick the seat in front of them
Followed by the seat mate who stinks and then the seatmate who has been drinking too much. That’s usually on the Las Vegas flight. Also the Chatty Lissa. I mean Cathy. I actually don’t talk a lot on planes. I fall asleep right away, even on the flight to LA.
Missed a few didn’t I?
This one is interesting…certainly doesn’t go along with what we’ve always been told…that if you’ve been drinking you should sober up with coffee.
A new study says a cup of coffee may actually make it harder for people to realize they’ve had too much to drink. Thank goodness for designated drivers. Make sure you always have one!!!
Christina and I spent the night in San Francisco Saturday nite.
It’s a holiday tradition and unfortunately Tori couldn’t join us this year but
We still had a good time….shopping, drinking and acting like tourists which meant even in the freezing cold temperatures we got on a cable car. And I had to laugh as women, some young, some older were getting on in totally skimpy outfits, braving the chill to obviously go to a company Christmas party. I would have taken a cab. At $6 for a single cable car ride a cab wouldn’t have been much more. In fact, we took a cab back from Fisherman’s Warf to Union Square because there was no way I was getting on a cable car again in 35 degree weather, and the ride was less than $6.
Anyway, seeing the girls in their short dresses, no nylons and stilettos it reminded me of the list I saw the other day…..the 5 winter date nite outfits guys hate.
3. Short dresses
4. Fur Coats
5. Leather boots.
If you have already had one too many Ho Ho Hos. Here’s what Dr. Phil says about surviving the holidays:
· Are you expecting too much?
· Lighten up and go with the flow. Take a step back and relax. When your family gets on your nerves, laugh it off.
· Remember that Christmas is not a problem-solving session. Deal with your family issues another time. (like next year or even the year after)
· Limit the time you spend with your family. No need to overdo it. LOL
· If a meal is stressful, try making changes. For example, maybe you need to invite fewer people, serve it buffet style, or have the celebration in a hotel or restaurant.
I like that last suggestion!!!
· Give yourself permission to not have perfection. Heck, that’s my advice every day!!!
· If the holiday season makes you focus on unresolved pain or guilt from your past, start creating new traditions. Easier said than done I know!!! But try it!!!
· Remember what the holidays are really about. Family togetherness, spiritual enlightenment and camaraderie with friends Wait a second, isn’t this why you’re stressed?
· If the holidays make you feel empty, give to others. The best way to get is to give. Fill your heart up by helping those who are less fortunate. This one sometimes helps the most!!!
So may I remind you that Stuff the Bus for Toys for Tots is next Saturday the 14th at Christmas in the Park across from the Fairmont in downtown San Jose. Sam and I as always do our show from there from10-2..but the KBAY Crew and those darn handsome Marines are there from 9-5. This may be the perfect time to not only give a toy but get your 2013 KBAY Holiday CD!!
This is such a great story…and I’m thinking the headline could be “Only in Canada”.
Kathyrn Jones of Hamilton, Ontario bought a lotto ticket a year ago, and then promptly lost it. Never knew she had lost $47 million dollars as she didn’t remember the numbers on her ticket.
Well, the other day, Ontario Lottery and Gaming officials showed up at her front door, just two days before the claim cutoff, to tell her she had won the jackpot. Yes, the 47 million dollars. What?
When months passed and no one claimed the ticket, a false claim led them to the convenience store where Jones had bought hers. A lengthy investigation was launched involving surveillance footage, time stamps and credit card receipts that led officials to Kathys house. She almost didn’t let them in. Once they proved who they were, they told her they had 47 million dollars for her. In Canada lottery winnings are tax free.
She does have to wait another 30 days to collect though, but after a year, I’m thinking another 30 days doesn’t matter.
Only in Canada would there be a full blown investigation for the real winner. Lets just hope she doesn’t get struck by lightening on day 29 and doesn’t get to cash in!!! That just wouldn’t be right!!!
Loved all of your FB posts on what you are thankful for at work…
Especially the ones that said KBAY on the radio. But so many of you also like your co workers and that is the way it should be. You spend so much time at work. I can’t imagine the day when I’m not working with Sam…in fact I never even think about it but he’s not my only buddy here. I have a handful of co-workers who truly are my friends. I love when we get to do lunches or sometimes drinks but just knowing each other is what really counts. We look out for each other whether it involves work or not. Also mentioned in our “official survey”, good benefits, easy commute, being challenged, having a good boss, being able to work a flex schedule. Yeah, I definitely liked your answers better.
Did you hear about the Tips for Jesus?
People around the nation have been leaving crazy tips….up to $10,000…with the message “doing the Lords work, one tip at a time”. A guy working at Harris Steakhouse in San Francisco the other day got a $1500 tip on a $500 bill. And a waiter at a Taco place got a $1000 tip. Don’t know who any of these tippers are but they always use an AMEX CARD and I don’t think it’s the black one!!!!! http://www.facebook.com/SamVanZandtKBAY https://www.facebook.com/KBAYlissa
I don’t know how they would get these kind of stars to sign on, but
I sure like the idea. Dancing with the Stars is reportedly hoping to do a season packed with former Oscar winners.
Supposedly Renee Zellweger is on their wish list. Yes she got an Oscar ion 2003 for Cold Mountain and even did some dancing in Chicago. Can’t picture her having fun on Dancing though.
I doubt they could get people like Meryl Streep, Robert De Niro, Tom Hanks, Denzel or Dustin Hoffman…but Quentin Tarantino might be in and what about Roberto Benigni from Life is Beautiful? He knows how to leap over chairs. And what about Hilary Swank? Her career could use a jolt. Maybe even Adrian Brody or Helen Hunt. Theres even Whoopi Goldberg and Cher… plus they could bring back Cloris Leachman and Tatum O Neal. But you know who would be the biggest kick to watch…Jack Nicholson. I doubt there is enough money to get him off one of his yachts though.
Am I the only one who noticed some really great retail workers
at the stores this weekend. I don’t know what it was like on Thanksgiving Day, but I did go out Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And I was taken aback at how nice everyone was…and how much patience they all had. Too bad not all of the customers are like that. I do a lot of shopping at Macys and there’s a guy named Don who the last few weeks has waited on me over and over again. He was hired for the holidays. He had been out of work and I’ve got to tell you he was so helpful-so patient-and had a comment -but a funny or cute comment about everything I bought. He told me he hoped he got to keep his job after Christmas and I hope he does too. In fact, I tracked down a manager just to put in the good word for him. Are there more Don’s working the stores right now? You know there are. And if you run across one take a second find a manager and tell them about their star employees. Could make such a difference in that person's life! http://www.facebook.com/SamVanZandtKBAY https://www.facebook.com/KBAYlissa